A week before my birthday me and my parents decided to go visit my sister, Nicole, who lives in Denver. It was SO much fun. The first couple days we just relaxed and I got to see her new, cute house. It was so great spending time with her and my brother-in-law. One of the days we went to the zoo a couple hours before it closed and that was the perfect time. Almost. No one was there but the down side was that by the time we got to the monkeys they were put away. Other than that, it was so great. Especially because I got to have my favorite treat, Dippin' Dots. Banana Split. Yum.
Then, the surprises started to come. Before we left for Denver, my told me that there was a birthday surprise there. I never connected the bigger than a breadbox thing. I thought they were totally separate and that never crossed my mind. I was going to be home for my birthday after all right? My other sister, Michelle, was watching my dog until I got home on Saturday right? We were going to have family over for dinner on Sunday right? Wrong. Oh, so wrong. I have never loved being so wrong in my life. My mom told me after we got home from the zoo that she needed to pick something up in the morning for the beginning of my surprise and I could decide if I wanted to come. I decided to go.
We started driving and the exits said we were going towards the Denver Airport. I got really suspicious but I didn't know what of. There is a mall off that exit too and they convinced me that, that's where we were going. They had me going until Nicole "accidentally" missed the next exit. I knew we were going to the airport, but I really didn't know why. My mind was buzzing and kept thinking, but couldn't come up with anything...until I looked at Instagram. Silly Michelle posted a picture of her plane...haha, my mom and Nicole weren't too thrilled about that. It didn't ruin it for me though, I was still shocked and so, so excited! Why in the world would she be coming here? I thought whatever we were picking up would ease the intensity of my curiosity, but it only intensified it. They then told me we were going on a girl's trip and I thought I figured it out. I was SURE we were going to downtown Denver...or somewhere in CO. Yeah, I never really figured anything out. I have never been more clueless.
After we picked up Meesh, we went to breakfast and had a rather strange waitress. I kept picking at Michelle's food and had the best french toast. Nic drank my hot chocolate because I didn't like it and it was super messy. It was a way fun morning. Then, we went back to Nicole's house and we thought her dog escaped (again, he does that a lot). He didn't but me and Michelle didn't find that out until Brandon came and found us while we were on our search. We decided we would finish our walk and he could drive back. We noticed that he pulled over at a neighbor's. The front of their driveway had an old toolbox and they gave it too him. There was also a sweet, tricked out, low-ride bike. (I am really random. Strange things like that always get me. I always want them for some reason. I'm weird.) When we got back to the house I asked him about it and he said they were just giving stuff away. Brandon and I ended up going back there and they gave us the bike for free! Such a cool, random birthday bike! It is absolutely hilarious; I love it.
That night was my birthday dinner with Brandon and Nicole. My birthday wasn't for 3 days and I didn't really care what we had so we went to BBQ because that's what everyone was in the mood for. Michelle was LOVING the BBQ sauce and we ended up buying a few bottles. After we went back to Brandon & Nicole's and opened some new shoes and perfume and then they decided to tell me where we were going. My dad wanted to see my reaction. I wish I could have. Unfortunately, no one recorded it.
One by one, they went around the circle giving me clues.
Dad: It's a beautiful place.
Mom: It's east of here.
Michelle: It's not in this state.
Nicole: It's more humid than here.
Brandon: I can't remember what he said because it was so vague (Sorry Bran!). I kinda think he said we were driving.
Dad: Starts singing a song about the Mississippi.
Mom: I can't remember what she said this time. It was also vague.
Michelle: You shouldn't say "hell" there.
At this point, I think I know and I am giddy out of my mind but not sure yet. So, I look at my mom and she is smiling.
Nicole: She starts to sing, "Come, Come, Ye Saints"
I started to tear up and ended up crying and I choke out, "Are you serious?" "Nauvoo?". My mom is tearing up too and is nodding. I start crying...maybe to the point of sobbing. "Are you serious? If you guys are kidding, I'm going to be so mad!" I say it through tears. My mom keeps nodding and I go over and embrace her and we are both just sobbing.
This is a reaction I have NEVER experienced. I was actually nervous that I wouldn't be as excited as I should be. I was so, so, so incredibly wrong. The thing you should know is that I have dreamed of going to Nauvoo. My mom and I have been wanting to go there since I was 8 years old. Every time we talk about family vacations, I always hope we are going to Nauvoo. I didn't care when or how to get there as long as me and my mom experienced it together. This has been a dream of ours for 11 years. Although, I would have loved to have my dad there. I guess I maybe should have had some idea because it's been something I have wanted so badly but it never crossed my mind. Nauvoo just seemed like a big thing and it was a big thing. Something that took time and money and more than I would have ever expected for my 19th birthday. I can't remember the last time I was that taken back and so, so giddy.
My next post will be about my amazing birthday and experience in Nauvoo. It was absolutely incredible and an experience I will never forget. Nauvoo stole my heart 11 years ago and now a part of it will be there forever.
No comments :
Post a Comment