October 2, 2013

2000

      The first time I went to New York, I was seven. It was for my sister, Nicole's, graduation trip. All the girls in my family went and it was a thrilling experience. I was little so I don't remember everything, but I remember loving being with my big sisters in a big city. I remember whining about my feet plenty. Very little driving in such a crowded place. The taxi drives and subways were unforgettable to me too. Swerving, busy drivers and subways full of wild people. A guy with a snake around his neck on the subway. Those are things a seven year old doesn't forget.
      I loved going to the broadway shows and was a little freaked out by the wax museum. Being in New York City was kind of surreal for a little girl from Utah. Sticking pennies in the Statue of Liberty, going to a fancy dinner full of mirrors, stopping in bakeries where seeing a little girl was a kind of novelty, and not understanding my sisters' excitement over a giant store full of make up. Then again, they didn't understand my excitement over a giant gorilla stuffed animal at the giant toy store.
       I never really thought I'd go back to New York. It was just one of those once in a lifetime vacations to be cherished with my sisters, mom, and grandma. I would have never guessed looking at old pictures I'd live in that very state. Michelle and Danny moved to New York for med school with their newborn twins so I came to help. I have no idea how long I'll be here but I'm taking it all in.
     I'm sitting in a beautiful house in Troy. A three hour train ride from New York City. It's a little surreal. It's exciting and new. I've been needing something in my life. I've been needing change and growth. I'm so grateful for Danny, Michelle, Sophie, and Lincoln. They have changed my life in a very little amount of time and I can feel myself becoming new. Fresh. It's a wonderful feeling and I'm so excited to see where this experience takes me.
     Thirteen years ago was my first time in New York City and I had pictured my life turning out a lot differently. I wouldn't have ever placed myself in the place I am now or even the person I am now. I wonder what little me would think of me now. I'm hoping to continue to grow into the person I always wanted to be. I have a fresh palette to start with. No one knows me here. I can become whoever I want. They won't see me as anyone yet or as anyone else's. It's kind of a strange feeling. An exhilarating feeling.
     So, here is to new experiences, new people, and new places. Maybe not for awhile, but I'm on my way. I'm so excited to be here with my new little family unit. They have completely made me feel at home and apart of them. I can't thank them enough for that. Here we go. Wish me luck.


No comments :

Post a Comment